April 4, 2019 - 9:45am
Budget supports VIU’s key objectives outlined in the Academic Plan and reflects growth through student enrolment, contract delivery, external support for social impact initiatives and the popularity of VIU among international students.
Vancouver Island University (VIU) continues to grow together through a consolidated balanced budget of $158.8 million for the 2019/2020 fiscal year.
The budget continues to support VIU’s six key objectives outlined in the Academic Plan: Promoting and Celebrating Access to Excellence. It is reflective of growth through strong student enrolment across all certifications, diplomas and degrees, successful contract delivery, external support for social impact initiatives, and the popularity of VIU among international students.
Highlights for 2019/20 include:
- Seeking new revenue streams to support current operations, enhance student supports, and enable future growth. Key areas include social innovation, universal access, student housing, Indigenous learners and contract education programs.
- Successfully completing the $5.5-million Imagine VIU Campaign in support of new facilities (the Centre for Health and Science, the Automotive, Marine and Trades Redevelopment Project, and the District Geo-Exchange Energy System), and the students who learn there.
- Growth in delivery of academic programs, thanks to increased demand from students from around the world for graduate programs, as well as short-term contracts such as the Aboriginal Construction Program.
- Continuing to grow initiatives where VIU has demonstrated leadership, including the Post Care Tuition Waiver Program for former youth in care and EleV, the learning partnership for Indigenous youth co-created with First Nations communities and funded by the Mastercard Foundation.
- Providing students with experiential learning opportunities through applied, community-based research projects such as the Mount Arrowsmith Biosphere Region Research Institute (MABBRI) and the Regional Initiatives Fund, a partnership between VIU, the Province of BC and the Real Estate Foundation of BC to collaborate with Vancouver Island communities on projects that contribute to the intellectual capital in the region.
- Supporting the new VIU Initiatives Trust as an income-generating business enterprise that will evaluate and undertake various business opportunities, ultimately benefiting VIU and the VIU Foundation, the sole beneficiaries of the Trust.
Jenn McGarrigle, External Communications Advisor, Vancouver Island University