January 14, 2019 - 10:00am
IMPORTANT NOTICE: All VIU technology will be SHUT DOWN and UNAVAILABLE January 19 and 20
VIU’s technology infrastructure is in need of significant improvement, remediation and renewal. The University’s Information Technology Services (ITS) department is moving forward with a major Network Remediation Project (NRP).
This NRP will bring significant improvements to VIU’s technology infrastructure, from which all students and employees will benefit. VIU recently received the funding for this project, which must be used by March 31, 2019. A complete outage of all IT services at VIU is required to complete the remediation. Therefore, to meet the constrained time frame, ITS will conduct a VIU-wide outage on the weekend of Saturday, January 19, 2019, starting at 6 am and ending on Sunday, January 20 at 6 pm.
The main viu.ca website will be functioning, but pages that require a log-in will not be accessible.
All VIU technology at all VIU locations will be SHUT DOWN including (but not limited to):
- VIU email addresses
- Online coursework
- Administrative systems including student records, Library systems, VIULearn, VIUTube, VIUBlogs and Learnsupport
- Landline phones
- VIU WIFI
- All VIU computers
- Code Blue Poles *please use the VIU SafetyApp or call 250-740-6600
All Registration systems, including the availability to receive applications, will be unavailable.
The Nanaimo Campus Library will be closed January 19 and 20, and the Learning Commons, which is typically a 24/7 space, will close at midnight on Friday, January 18, re-opening on Sunday, January 20 at 6 pm.
- While library-licensed e-resources will not be available, VIU Library Open Access Resources will be available.
At the Nanaimo campus, Starbucks and the Cafeteria will remain open regular hours for purchasing food and beverages.
What do I need to do to be ready?
- Save and close your work, then log off or restart your computer prior to the scheduled service interruption.
- You will NOT be able to access your account, VIU email, files, or VIU internet during this maintenance window. If you require access to any files you will need to save them to a USB drive or other storage device (not your VIU computer account or a VIU computer or VIU email).
Faculty have been asked to consider accommodations to minimize the impact of this outage and ensure students have time to complete and submit their work.
Additional planned outages will occur throughout February and early March. These may have shorter durations, and/or may be limited to one area or building at a time. All outages must be complete by the beginning of March to allow time to complete this project.