November 8, 2018 - 2:15pm
As we move into Study Break for some of our community and the continuation of regular classes and work for others, we would like to remind everyone of the ongoing supports that are in place for students and employees.
For our students:
- Student Affairs (Building 200, Third Floor) will continue to have enhanced counselling support from Tuesday, November 13 to Friday, November 16. Counselling hours will be Tuesday to Thursday (November 13 to 15) 9 am – 6 pm; Friday, November 16, 9 am - 5 pm.
- Drop-in sessions are being planned with a schedule to be confirmed; students can check with counselling in Building 200 for more information.
For our employees:
- Drop-in counselling will be available from Tuesday, November 13 to Friday, November 16. Locations and times will be communicated by Human Resources. Note that individuals can book a time slot if the rooms are busy when they arrive.
- Ongoing, employees can go to the Human Resources Department (Building 305, Room 280, Monday to Friday, 8.30 am - 4 pm, or reach out to counselling support through Homewood Health at 1-800-663-1142 (this number is open 24/7).
- The VIU Counselling Department wants to share their knowledge on supporting students in distress with employees on Wednesday and Thursday this week. The Capacity to Connect workshop will be helpful for employees who have direct contact with students, and will be offered twice this week: November 14, 10 am - 11.30 am and November 15, 10 am - 11.30 am. Register for the workshops through InVIU.
For everyone in the broader community:
- Individuals can access 24/7 support through the Vancouver Island Crisis Line at 1-888-494-3888, https://bit.ly/2PGRRT3, or text: 250-800-3806.
- Island Health’s Crisis Counselling Services: 203-2000 Island Highway (behind Staples at Brooks Landing) Monday - Friday, 10 am - 7 pm. They provide immediate, single session therapy with a focus on in-the-moment crisis. Grounding and stabilization after a traumatic event is the priority. Clients can access the clinic as often as they wish (daily) for an indefinite period of time.
- Island Health’s Substance Use Walk-In Services: 3151 Barons Road, Monday, 9.30 am - 12 pm and Wednesday, 1 pm - 3.30 pm. They provide immediate service for clients struggling with substances. In the aftermath of a traumatic incident clients often see an increase in substance use.
- Individuals can access the Nanaimo Regional General Hospital which is open 24/7 to provide support.
Thank you for continuing to support each other.